Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ATHLETE'S Spotlight with LINDSEY PUTMAN


Q. How is your cross country season going thus far?
A. Cross country season has been kind of rough, but it is getting better. I'm just working on getting back into shape.

Q.What are your expected goals this season?
A. My personal goals for this season really have been to get back in shape. I mean I haven't really trained in a year, up until this season, so I don't have any goals as far as what I want to do at conference and regional and what not. As for the team, we're very young and unexperienced. Of course going to nationals is the ultimate goal, but come regional as long as we compete well and do better then last year I think we will be somewhat happy.

Q.How do you motivate your fellow teammates on the Cross Country team?
A.Everytime we go on a trip for a cross country meet and they think it's amazing and fun I let them know even though this is cool, nationals is better... more fun; I mean we get more meal money and miss more school and everything. Other then that I keep telling them to look towards the future. We're young, but by next year with good training and good recruiting we are going to be really good and have a lot more depth.

Q.Do you have a balance diet during your season?
A.I try to eat healthy as much as possible and cut back on fast food, but even that's hard because we all know after our meets we hit up Wendy's and other fast food places. I have cut candy--gum doesn't count--out of my diet completely since the week after our Alaska cross country meet. Other then that, I try to eat grilled/baked chicken and fish with vegetables as often as possible.

Q.What are you thinking everytime you are at the starting line of a race?
A.For cross country I tell myself it's 'only' 20 something minutes of running and don't go out too fast because this is not track, after 800 meters I don't get to stop. Really, I don't have much trouble with motivation or being positive before I run, it's more like in a 6k race when I realize that I have just ran 2 miles and I still have a little less then 2 miles to go--I think that is one of the worst feelings ever.

Q.Got any hobbies?
A.I'm a laidback person so I really like to just kick back and chill, watch movies, listen to music, and hang out with my friends. I also like to go out, dance, and be crazy. I definitely love sports; basketball is one of my all time favourite things to do, I can shoot around and play for hours.

Q.What's your favorite event and why?
A.My favourite event is cross country. Ok that's a lie; it's definitely got to be either the 800 or the 4x4. The 800 is one of the toughest races becuase it takes a combination of speed and endurance. It's hard to explain; I think it's probably because of the challenge. You know if you hesitate you get left behind, but if you make your move too quickly you get walked down at the end. Now as for the 4x4, it is the most exciting race to watch and run. I love running on it and I love watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment