Sunday, October 11, 2009

ATHLETE'S SPOTLIGHT with Jessica Withrow


Q. How is training going so far?
A. Training is going great so far. I feel that the coaches are working very well with the athletes by asking what they would like to incorporate into their workouts. I feel stronger and in better shape then this time last year so that is a huge plus.
Q. What are your goals for the up coming season?
A. My goals for the up-coming season are simply to stay healthy and enjoy my last track season. Of course if by doing that I could gain another National title or a new school record that would be great!
Q. What would it take to regain another National title?
A. Regaining another National title is very challenging because you definitely have a target on your back. This year the competition is stronger than I've ever seen it. The collegiate hepathlon is probably more mental than physical. Although you may be physically capable of winning your mind my not help you accomplish that dream. Having already been a National champion I feel I do have an advantage in that area by knowing how you mentally and physically need to be to win. However I can never lose focus of the competitors around me, I must always be aware of who or what my next obstacle will be and work to defeat it.
Q. Who is your biggest competition next season?
A. My biggest competition will be the previous years reigning National Champion. She is a great athlete with a lot of talent. I am excited to compete against her for the challenge and experience.
Q. What do you like to do when you are not on the track?
A. When I am not on the track I love to find things that will help me to live a healthy lifestyle when I am done competing, for example I am experimenting with different healthy foods. I also just enjoy spending time with people who have a passion for what they love, whether it is track or theater or something else.
Q. Got any pet peeves?
A. Everyone has some pet peeves, little things that they are particular about. Like for me I hate to have noise going on around me when I am high jumping. This is my most favorite event but also the one I know I need the most focus on to be my best. I try to clear the mechanism, as I say it, complete blocking out everything but the jump ahead. When noise gets into my head I lose focus and have to start over..haha it kind of stinks too. I should work on it.
Q. What advice do you have for our Freshman's?
A. For freshman on the team I would tell you that each of you are here for a purpose and reason. When you come to practice remember that. Remember that you have your own talent and dont try to be or use someone else. When things go wrong as they sometimes will, when the road you're trudging seems all uphill, when you're feeling low and the stress is high, and you want to smile but you have to sigh, when your worries are getting you down a bit.. by all means pray--and dont you quit. Success is failure turned inside out, God's hidden gift in the clouds of doubt. You never can tell how close you are--it my be near when it seems so far. So trust in the Lord when you're hardest hit.. It's when things go wrong that you must not quit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment